In This Edition
- Coronavirus Information & Resources
— NEW! Alerts, virtual events, and links arranged by topics
- Events & Training
- ADA30 - Celebrate. Learn. Share.
- Stay Connected
Coronavirus Information & Resources
We provide this list of Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources based on up-to-date information from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the Southeast U.S. region, and known national, federal, and state sources.
Information is constantly changing. We will continue to update the resource list as new information is released. The Southeast ADA Center does not give medical or legal advice. Please contact healthcare or legal experts for more information.
- Survey: COVID-19 Disability Community Needs Survey
Or complete on Facebook - Survey: COVID-19 Disability Needs Survey
Deadline: Friday, April 17
Sponsors: Lakeshore Foundation and National Center on Health, Physical Activity and Disability (NCHPAD)
- Alerts! | Virtual Events
- People with Disabilities, Medical Conditions & Older Adults
- Southeast U.S. Region by State
- Community, Large Groups & Municipalities
- Fact Sheets & Graphics
- Healthcare: Professionals, Facilities & Departments
- Schools & Education
- Workplace & Business
- Recursos en español sobre el coronavirus
Emergency, Storm & Severe Weather
Our thoughts and hearts are with the people, families, and communities impacted by the tornadoes, severe weather, and flooding. Check out the complied list of resources below to assist you. Be sure to listen to your local news and weather reports, as well as follow social media for important alerts and emergency information in your area. Please stay safe!
- Southeast U.S. Region - Emergency & Severe Weather Resources:
Alabama (AL), Florida (FL), Georgia (GA) , Kentucky (KY), Mississippi (MS),
North Carolina (NC), South Carolina (SC), Tennessee (TN)
- Emergency & Severe Weather Resources
- Emergency Preparedness - ADA Fact Sheets & Publications
- ADA Live! Podcasts & Resources - Emergency Preparedness
Events & Training
Webinars & Podcasts
2:30 P.M. - 4:00 P.M. EST
|ADA National Network Learning Session: Research on ADA Coordinators Involvement in Accessible Emergency Management|
*Deadline to Register: April 8, 2020
Webinar Series: Inclusive Emergency Management and Preparedness
12:00 P.M. - 1:00 P.M. EST
|Supported Decision Making in Healthcare and Life Planning|
*Deadline to Register: April 15, 2020
2:00 P.M. - 3:30 P.M. EST
|Accessible Parking, What Does that Mean?|
*Deadline to Register: April 20, 2020
Webinar Series: ADA Audio
ADA30 Monthly Themes & Resources
Throughout 2020, celebrate 30 years of progress in access & inclusion
— Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the ADA 30th Anniversary (July 26).
Featured ADA30 Events
- Twitter #ADANetworkChat on Healthcare, Effective Communication, and the ADA
Wednesday - April 22, 2020
10-11 am PT / 12 noon - 1pm CT / 1-2 pm ET
Sponsor: ADA National Network
National ADA Events Calendar
Share Your #ThanksToTheADA Moment
On a social media platform of your choosing use #ThanksToTheADA to share what the ADA means to you — a moment when you were thankful for the ADA. This will look different for everyone, so have fun and be creative! Share any media of your choosing, (video, picture, written word, or other) and include #ThanksToTheADA.
How to participate #ThanksToTheADA
- Video: ADA 30th Anniversary: #ThanksToTheADA [2:20 min., captioned]
- Transcript: Video ADA30 #ThanksToTheADA
- Tweet: #ThanksToTheADA
Share, Show & Tell ADA 30
ADA Celebrations & Anniversary Toolkit
April ADA30 Themes
Healthcare Inclusion & Voting Access
- Healthcare Access & Inclusion
- Voting Access
- State & Local Government Access
ADA & Effective Communication
- ADA Live! Podcasts & Resources - ADA (general) | Effective Communication: ADA Live!
- Search ADA Resources from ADA National Network
- Search ADA Document Portal - Effective Communication
ADA30 Monthly Blog Topic: Voting Access
"The right to vote is something that many groups had to fight for and are still working to make sure those rights are ensured. This includes people with disabilities, who like other minority groups have been barred to vote or had restrictions or environmental barriers placed on them."
Voting Accessibility: Responsibilities and Rights
Petition for a Google Doodle in Honor of the ADA 30th Anniversary
Over the years, Google has rarely honored significant moments in disability history.
In honor of the 30th anniversary of the American's with Disabilities Act (ADA),
show your support for Google to acknowledge this historic moment with a
Google Doodle on July 26, 2020.
Sign the Petition for ADA30 Google Doodle
Make A Difference
Opportunities to participate, provide comments, and impact disability research, rights, and laws.
Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRM)
- Access Board Initiates Update of Accessibility Guidelines for Rail Cars
Due by: May 14, 2020
- April is National Autism Awareness Month
- ADA 30th Anniversary - Celebrate & Share Your #ThanksToTheADAMoment
- Submit Your Video to the AUCD Video Contest!
Due by: June 11, 2020
- DEADLINE EXTENDED TO APRIL 10: National Online Dialogue on Paid Family and Medical Leave & Paid Sick Leave for Families First Coronavirus Response Act
Due by: April 10, 2020
- Safe Harbor - Public Comment Period Extended until April 13
Due by: April 13, 2020
- Take the Lakeshore Foundation-NCHPAD COVID 19 Disability Needs Survey
Due by: April 17, 2020
- March 2020 nTIDE Jobs Report: COVID-19 Effects Not Yet Seen in Jobs Data for Americans with Disabilities
Source: Institute on Disability at the University of New Hampshire
- Moving Forward from Autism Awareness, Acceptance, Empowerment and Advocacy to Include Autistic Pride
Source: Jason’s Connection
- Notice: Webinar Series for ACTCP Members and 2020 Symposium Registrants
Source: ADA National Network (ADANN)
- The ADA and Managing Reasonable Accommodation Requests from Employees with Disabilities in Response to COVID-19
Source: Job Accommodation Network (JAN)
Southeast Region News by State
- College Student Makes Masks for the Deaf & Hard of Hearing
Source: LEX 18 (Kentucky)
Court Decisions & Disability Issues
Review and search legal and policy developments relevant to civil rights protections and the impact of court decisions in the Southeast Region under the ADA. These briefs are developed in partnership with the Burton Blatt Institute (BBI) at Syracuse University.
- Robles v. Domino”s Pizza
- Caporicci v. Chipotle Mexican Grill
- Gil v. Winn-Dixie
- Craig v. Masterpiece Cakeshop, Inc.
Other News & Resources of Interest
Disclaimer: Accessibility cannot be guaranteed for external websites. The Southeast ADA Center provides these links as a courtesy and does not endorse, take responsibility for, or exercise control of the organization nor vouch for the accuracy of the contents of the destination link.
- Two New Issues in Pathways Comics Series: Dropping In
Two new comics discuss meeting new people and ‘dropping in” to visit a local center for youth with disabilities.
Source: Pathways RTC
Accessibility cannot be guaranteed for external websites. The Southeast ADA Center provides these links as a courtesy and does not endorse, take responsibility, or exercise control of the organization nor vouch for the accuracy of the contents of the destination link. The contents of this electronic newsletter were developed under Grant #90DP0090-01-00 from the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR). The information, materials, and/or technical assistance are intended solely as informal guidance, and are neither a determination of your legal rights or responsibilities under the ADA, nor binding on any agency with enforcement responsibility under the ADA.