ADA Information for:
Find your ADA Center
October Is National Disability Employment Awareness Month
September 28, 2012
News source: Office of Disability Employment Policy
National Disability Employment Awareness Month 2012
A Strong Workforce is an Inclusive Workforce: What Can YOU Do?
Held each October, National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM) is a national campaign that raises awareness about disability employment issues and celebrates the many and varied contributions of America's workers with disabilities. This year's theme is "A Strong Workforce is an Inclusive Workforce: What Can YOU Do?"
NDEAM's roots go back to 1945, when Congress enacted a law declaring the first week in October each year "National Employ the Physically Handicapped Week." In 1962, the word "physically" was removed to acknowledge the employment needs and contributions of individuals with all types of disabilities. In 1988, Congress expanded the week to a month and changed the name to "National Disability Employment Awareness Month." Upon its establishment in 2001, ODEP assumed responsibility for NDEAM and has worked to expand its reach and scope ever since.
Although led by ODEP, NDEAM's true spirit lies in the many observances held at the grassroots level across the nation every year. Employers, schools and organizations of all sizes and in all communities are encouraged to participate in NDEAM, and ODEP offers several resources to help them do so. Activities range from simple, such as putting up a poster, to comprehensive, such as implementing a disability education program. Regardless, all play an important part in fostering a more inclusive America, one where every person is recognized for his or her abilities — every day of every month.
To get NDEAM resources or learn more about how your organization can participate, please select one of the following:
- Ideas for Employers and Employees
- Ideas for Educators and Youth Service Professionals
- Ideas for Associations and Unions
- Ideas for Disability-Related Organizations
- Ideas for Federal Agencies
- NDEAM 2012 poster: A Strong Workforce is an Inclusive Workforce: What Can YOU Do? (English)
- NDEAM 2012 poster: A Strong Workforce is an Inclusive Workforce: What Can YOU Do?(Spanish)- Póster de la Campaña 2012 para la Concienciación Nacional sobre el Empleo de Personas Discapacitadas