Find your ADA Center
News for Employers
Register to Participate in the 2018 Disability Equality Index Disability Equality Index (DEI)
October 2, 2017
Source: American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD)
The Disability Equality Index (DEI) is a unique, joint initiative of USBLN (US Business Leadership Network) and the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD). It serves as the nation's most trusted annual benchmarking tool allowing America's leading corporations to self-report their disability policies and practices. This evolving index objectively scores each corporation on a scale from 0 to 100 - 100 representing the most inclusive. The DEI was developed by the two national leaders in consultation with the appointed DEI Advisory Committee, a diverse and voluntary group of experts in business, policy, and disability advocacy.
The DEI was originally conceived five years ago, held its first pilot survey in 2013-2014 with 48 companies taking part. In the following two years, the number of companies participating nearly doubled, with 80 companies enrolling in 2015 and 83 companies on board in 2016. In 2017 the DEI welcomed a historic 110 corporations to the benchmark.
What companies can participate in the DEI?
- Fortune magazine's 1,000 largest publicly-traded businesses (the Fortune 1000)
- American Lawyer magazine's top 200 revenue grossing law firms
- Other organizations eligible to participate in the 2018 DEI include the following, providing they have 500 or more full-time employees based in the U.S. as of January 1, 2017:
- Private-sector (non-government) employers that are not owned by a larger U.S. incorporated entity
- Businesses that serve as the U.S. subsidiary of a foreign-based multinational business
- Foreign-owned private companies on behalf of their U.S. operations
What is the timeline for the DEI?
The following dates are provided for planning purposes and are subject to slight modification:
- January 12, 2018: Registration period closes
- Week of January 22, 2018: Registered companies receive access to the DEI
- April 13, 2018: Final company survey responses are due
- By late June 2018: DEI survey scores will be finalized
What are the benefits of participating?
- Recognition: Companies scoring 80 and up receive a DEI Best Places to Work for Disability Inclusion logo, amongst many other benefits including, but not limited to:
- Featured as a DEI Best Places to Work on the DEI website
- Recognition in joint USBLN/AAPD national press release with other top-scoring companies
- Individual company recognition via social media
- May have a best practice(s) published in the DEI Annual Report
- Industry Data and Analysis: All company participants, regardless of score, receive a complimentary copy of the DEI Annual Report, which consists of detailed aggregate results and benchmarking information from the DEI.
- Benchmarking Insight: Companies receive a scorecard outlining areas in which the company excels, as well as areas of improvement. 75% of companies take the DEI more than once for long-term benchmarking to ensure sustainable results.
- Network Connections: Participating companies receive an invitation to the exclusive "DEI Top-Scoring Companies" reception on Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at the USBLN Annual Conference in Las Vegas, NV at the Cosmopolitan Hotel. In addition, at the USBLN Annual Conference July 9 - 12, 2018 there are breakout sessions where companies, in similar and varied industries, share best practices for leveraging the DEI for company success.
- Customized DEI Consulting Services: Participating companies are offered customized DEI consulting services specifically geared towards increasing your DEI score. This is especially useful for companies that score below 80 and want to become a top-scoring company, a company that is striving for 100 score, as well as companies that want to maintain their score as the index continually evolves.
Note: Companies scoring below 80 are kept confidential.
Questions? Please contact email@example.com.
To participate, you must register by no later than 5:00pm Eastern Standard Time on Friday, January 12, 2018. The registration fee to participate is $600.00 and is payable via credit card.
All registered companies will receive access to the 2018 DEI the week of January 22, 2018 to begin submission of responses. Final company DEI responses are due back on April 13, 2018. DEI scores will be finalized by late June 2018.
Link: Go to website for News Source