Find your ADA Center
News for You
FCC Releases Three Items Related to Disability Access Matters
June 18, 2014
Source: Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
1) FCC Seeks Comment on the Accessibility of Communications Technologies for Biennial CVAA Report
Comment Deadline: July 3, 2014
On June 17, 2014, the FCCs Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau (CGB) released a Public Notice asking for information about the following:
- the level of compliance with accessibility requirements for telecommunications and advanced communications services and equipment, and Internet browsers built into mobile phones;
- the effect of accessibility recordkeeping and enforcement requirements on the development and deployment of new communications technologies; and
- the extent to which accessibility barriers still exist with respect to new communications technologies.
This information will help inform the FCCs report to Congress about these issues, which is required by the Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act of 2010 (CVAA) and is due October 8, 2014. The FCC will publish and seek public comment on its tentative findings on these matters before it submits its report to Congress.
Links to the Public Notice:
Links to the 2012 CVAA Biennial Report:
Word : https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-12-1602A1.doc
For more information, contact Rosaline Crawford, Disability Rights Office, Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau, at 202-418-2075 or Rosaline.Crawford@fcc.gov.
2) FCC Issues a Public Notice Reminder on TRS Complaint Logs and Notification Obligation
On June 17, 2013, the FCCs Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau issued a Public Notice reminding state telecommunications relay service (TRS) programs and interstate TRS providers to submit their annual consumer complaint log summaries by Tuesday, July 1, 2013. These summaries will be used to assist the Commission to monitor the quality of TRS.
The Public Notice also reminds state TRS programs and interstate TRS providers of their obligation to notify the Commission of any changes in their contact information, and of any substantive changes in their TRS programs.
For additional information on this Public Notice, contact Dana Wilson, Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau, Disability Rights Office, 202‐ 418‐2247 (voice), or Dana.Wilson@fcc.gov.
Links to the Public Notice:
3) FCC Extends Comment Deadlines on Closed Captioning Quality Proposed Rules
On June 17, 2014, the FCC released an Order extending the comment and reply comment deadlines in response to the Closed Captioned Quality Report and Order, Declaratory Ruling, and Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking. The new deadlines are:
Comments: July 9, 2014
Reply Comments: August 8, 2014
Links to the Order:
For more information, contact Eliot Greenwald, Disability Rights Office, Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau, at 202-418-2235 or Eliot.Greenwald@fcc.gov.
Link: Go to website for News Source